Friday, February 8, 2013

Week 4 of IP

January 20, 2013 Sunday
Breakfast @ Art Is In: We had been talking about having breakfast (brunch) in Art Is In http://www.artisinbakery.com for a long time, finally, we made it today.  Total of 9 of us, including me, Cynthia, Jason (and his girl friend), Cindy, Erin, Chad, Quinn, and Matt.  I ordered the Benny's, check out the pic, so yummy!




I was glad that everyone liked this place.  After breakfast, Jason dropped me, Cindy and Cynthia off at my place.  We then watched RENT the movie and the musical http://www.siteforrent.com , and did some chocolate practice.

January 22, 2013 Tuesday
Demo Class#6: Chef Eric Jaouan demonstrated how to do chocolate bon bon including Muscadines, Praliné, Boules de neige, Rocher, Truffes (au miel, et au rhum), Pâte d'amandes.  Chef Eric rarely smiled, at least not in front of us.  And he usually hated being photo taken.  But today, he posed for my camera with a smile while I was taking pictures of the bonbon.  Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough take the picture...... he said if he found a picture of him on Facebook, i would be dead. LOL Good luck, Chef!!



January 23, 2013 Wednesday
Practical Class#6: Today, we had Chef Jocelyn Bouzenard as our instructor.  I did a good work, except that my Rocher looked very interesting after being piped.  The chocolate bonbons tasted good and looked good inside the chocolate box.  At night, I took the bus and dropped it off to Nicole and Deb's, 'cos I know Deb loves chocolate.  It was great to see them and Sammy :-)




January 24, 2013 Thursday
Demo Class#7: Having Chef Jocelyn Bouzenard as our instructor today, he showed us how to make Petits fours, including Souris (mouse), Barquette, Moka Dome, Raspberry Jam Triangle, Pink Frog, and Ganache Rectangle.  Everyone was saying how much we all missed Chef Jocelyn and his hand writing, especially when you saw Raspberry "ham" triangle instead of Raspberry "jam" triangle on the board :-)  Oh, and he mentioned how British called French "Frog" while French liked to call British "Roasted Beef"! LOL LOL LOL






After class, Tanvi, Quinn, Cindy, Jason (and his girl friend) and I had lunch buffet in Sitar Indian Restaurant.  Food wasn't great and no many choices neither..... not going back for sure.

January 25, 2013 Friday
Practical Class#7: For us, we had to do Petits fours, including Souris (mouse), Moka Dome, and Ganache Rectangle.  Fabienne supposed to be sous chef today, but she didn't show up for class.  Chef Eric told me to be sous chef, so I tried to finish my petits fours as quick as I could.  As nosey as I am, I asked Jocelyne and Quinn about Skills Compétences Canada (Skills Competition Canada).  They were the top marks students in Basic Pastry, so they got a chance to have an intramural competition against 3 other students to represent Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa.  All I knew was that we would have to do a chocolate box, and pipe some pate a choux.  I wish them luck!

January 26, 2013 Saturday
Today, I met Cynthia, Cindy and Dina for a trip to Kurt Schmidt Importe in Hull, Quebec (across the bridge).  Dan was kind enough to give us a lift.  When we arrived there, it was closed for lunch.  So we decided to find a place for food.  Across the road, we found a breakfast place called Tutti Fruit http://www.tuttifruttidejeuners.com/fr/ Nice food.  Then we went back to Kurt Schmidt and were shocked to know that it was still closed! Anyway, we decided to leave.


Pierogi Party (Ukrainian Dinner): I was excited to "finally" be invited to Quinn's long-waited pieorgi party.  She mentioned the party since last year.  Her reason for not having it was that she didn't have a couch for us to seat on..... well, we had a great carpet picnic at her place.  Chef Matt and Chef Quinn prepared us an amazing Ukrainian meal, including pierogi with different fillings, cabbage rolls, borsht, homemade sour cream (did I say "homemade"?), pampushky (bun), dessert, beer, vodka and sauerkraut!  We (Cindy, Cynthia, Erin, Chad, Dina, Tanvi, Jason, Jason's girl friend, me) all had a great time! Thank you both!








January 27, 2013 Sunday













NHL Game: I had never seen a professional hockey game live before, and I would never buy a ticket for the game.  So I didn't hesitated when school offered us free tickets to watch NHL Game Ottawa Senators vs Pittsburgh Penguins in Scotiabank Place.  The ticket also included $8.50 value for food or drink! It was a tight game.  It was 1-1 tied, then Senator lost in shootout.






No comments: