Saturday, February 9, 2013

Week 5 of IP

January 29, 2013 Tuesday
Demo Class#8: Chef Eric Jaouan demonstrated how to do Millefeuille Praliné (puff pastry dough with a chocolate hazelnut crispy layer and a light hazelnut cream filling)


Practical Class#8: Millefeuille Praliné (puff pastry dough with a chocolate hazelnut crispy layer and a light hazelnut cream filling) wasn't difficult to make.  The other thing different for us was that we had to use the dough prepared by Chef (or other students) because there was no enough time for dough to rest and for us to work the dough in 2 and half hours.  Chef Eric liked my work, the only criticism he had was my piping :-), as usual!

January 30, 2013 Wednesday
Production Kitchen Assistant: Like last term, I was working with Quinn (and other classmate) in production kitchen.  When we walked into the kitchen, this guy, whose name was either Brian or Ryan, asked for 2 students to help him cook.  Quinn jumped into the opportunity and asked me to work with her.  We were asked to make 2 salads, but then this guy kept asking Quinn to do something else.  So I was left alone doing these stupid salads.  Since I wasn't creative, I kept asking Quinn what she wanted me to do with the salads.  She dared to ask me to "julienne" the carrot! So I showed her my "julienne" carrot! :-) This guy kept feeding Quinn to the point that she was willing to come and volunteer regular, well, at least that was what she said.  At first, I didn't have a clue whose the food was for, until he said 5 mins left, then we finished everything and put everything into a cart.  We took the elevator up to the staff dining area, then I realized the food was prepared for the staff.  Overall, it was fun, especially Quinn was there with me.
Then, Cindy, Cynthia and I went to have lunch in Sidedoor http://sidedoorrestaurant.com recommended by classmates.  I ordered the seafood laksa, it tasted good, but for me, it was a bit pricey for a bowl of noodle.  Well, at least we tried it.


February 1, 2013 Friday
Complimentary Lunch @ Signatures: It's always nice to have free food.  It was time for complimentary lunch at Signatures from school for our group.  We had Chef Eric as our guest.  The menu:

Onion quiche, arugula and candied lemon dressing,
balsamic vinegar reduction
or
Traditional fish soup, crouton, rouille and grated parmesan
• • •
Seared pork tenderloin,
Spinach spaetzle, orange BBQ sauce, Roasted parsnips
or
Seared striped bass filet,
Mussel and chives risotto,
Chioggia beet, tomato syrup
• • •
Chef Yannick Anton’s tiramisu

My experience from last term told me not to order salad nor fish, so this time I ordered soup and tenderloin.  I was happy for my decision.  We didn't really enjoy the tiramisu......  It was fun talking with classmates about other classmates :-)








I knew it was Cynthia's birthday, I saw her on Facebook, so I asked if she was doing anything.  She replied "nothing".  Then I asked her, Cindy and Jason to have Pho in Chinatown for dinner.  Jason was in Rideau Centre and bumped into Hariyo (who graduated from cuisine program last year), and texted me about it.  I told him to invite him to dinner, especially Cynthia and Hariyo both are Indonesian and knew each other.  During dinner, I learned to say Happy Birthday in Indonesian--Selamat ulang tahun. I think I did a pretty good job saying it...... not as good as Cindy though.



February 2, 2013 Saturday
Cupcake Creations Workshop: I volunteered for assisting in Cupcake Creations' demo and practical classes today.  Chef Eric Jaouan and Chef Hervé Chabert were the instructors.  We had 20 something people who paid for the course, and 20 something LCB students attended for free.  It was fun to have Erin, Dina, and Tika there as assistants as well.  Erin and Dina were helping Chef Eric in kitchen 2C.  Tika and I helped Chef Hervé in 2B.  I had noticed that male students in the practical class would try to finish the products as fast as they could then left, while the female students just took forever to decorate their cupcakes.  Typical.


Cynthia's Birthday Dinner: Cynthia invited Jason, Cindy, Dina, Quinn, Matt, Tanvi and me to have Italian meal in Mamma Teresa Ristorante http://www.mammateresa.com for her birthday.  We had ordered so much food, everyone was so full.  The food was very good, and the service of the waiter was nice.  We had a great time as usual, thanks Cynthia!








No comments: